Who we are
We're Food52, a groundbreaking and award-winning kitchen and home brand. We support, connect and celebrate our community of cooks and home enthusiasts, giving them everything they need to eat thoughtfully and live joyfully.
Our product and engineering team is rooted in NYC but distributed across the country, and consists of engineers, product managers, UX and design specialists. Our technology powers our website, its CMS, its multi-merchant drop-ship commerce platform, and batch systems. Our website is written in Ruby on Rails. On the client side we use React and Knockout. Our batch systems are authored in Python and Clojure (for Cascalog / Hadoop). Our team currently has ~6 software engineers who work alongside our product group to build the systems that run Food52.com.
Please note: Food52 hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of home cooks.
Who you are
You are an inspiring leader and experienced engineering manager who embraces the challenge of leadership and appreciates its value in helping employees and organizations thrive. You have an innovation mind-set and bring good judgment and wisdom to the challenges you face. You thrive on delivering high quality engineering projects that meet user and business needs. You understand process, systems, and org structure for efficiency but are nimble. You also know how to help out in the trenches and see your role not merely as one of strategic decision making and vision, but also as one of service to your team. You lead by example and talented people naturally find themselves wanting to work with you and follow your lead.
About the role
We're looking for a technical leader (7+ years experience) who wants to build and inspire a world class team while working side by side with our executive team in executing the mission for the next phase of growth at Food52. You will define and evolve our engineering strategy and communicate this vision to other departments, external partners and the engineering community .
- Work with COO and product team to translate Food52’s strategic vision into an executable set of projects to be taken on in an iterative approach that minimizes time between action and tangible results.
- Hire, manage, and retain top talent.
- Determine how to best organize our team now and as we grow to foster innovation and productivity.
- Manage execution and delivery of projects and communicate effectively to the rest of the organization.
- Foster a healthy work culture: balancing each team member's skills, ideas, and needs so we all feel responsibility for and ownership of Food52
- Oversee our software development processes to keep our code in good shape.
- Collaborate on architectural and design considerations.
- Strong experience and background in software engineering and a loyal following of diverse engineering talent
- Comfort leading and working across multiple development functions and platforms using different technologies including web, and backend.
- Experience in high growth, start-up environment. Related: Ability to remain calm under pressure and bring humor and lightness to challenging situations
- Excellent communication, negotiation, decision-making and organizational skills coupled with sound judgment
- A continued love and curiosity for technology and desire to stay familiar with the latest available technologies
Nice to haves
- Experience in ecommerce and/or CMS systems
- Experience leading or working on a distributed team
- Competitive salary & healthcare packages
- Annual bonus plan
- No tracking of sick or vacation days (p.s. ask us about Summer Week & Winter Week)
- Flexible hours
- So many snacks!
- Monthly cocktail competitions
- An ever-flowing giveaway table, featuring kitchenware, cookbooks & Leftover Flower Fridays
- Have you seen our office? https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/fashion/brad-shermans-office-interior-design-on-a-dorm-budget.html