Senior Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Who We Are
We’re Food52, a groundbreaking and award-winning kitchen and home brand. We support, connect and celebrate our community of cooks and home enthusiasts, giving them everything they need to eat thoughtfully and live joyfully.
We're looking for a software engineer (5+ years experience) who loves to both code and mentor. You'll be responsible for writing high-quality Ruby-on-Rails code. You'll define technical requirements and propose engineering implementations. You'll help engineers understand best practices in a thoughtful and considerate way, earning respect through the way you contribute. Our team has ~6 software engineers who work alongside our product manager, UX researcher, designer, and VP of Engineering to build the systems that run Food52.com. Our website is written in Ruby on Rails; on the client side we use React and Knockout. Our batch systems are authored in Python and Clojure (for Cascalog / Hadoop).
Please note: Food52 hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of home cooks.
Who You Are
- You are an experienced software engineer with at least five years experience who loves writing code and finding simple solutions that solve user and business needs.
- You see your role as both mentor and coder, putting the needs of the team first. You enjoy helping other engineers understand best practices in a thoughtful and considerate way, and earn respect through high quality work.
- Implement features in our editorial and e-commerce platform, writing Ruby on Rails code to improve our in-house CMS and ecomm system.
- Mentor other software engineers by collaborating on architectural and design considerations and helping them understand standard solutions and when to cut corners.
- Help our team improve the quality of our code through thoughtful collaboration, code refactoring, and other software engineering best practices.
- Strong background in web technologies, including a deep understanding of how a modern web application works end to end and how applications perform under load.
- Experience with AWS and Ruby on Rails.
- At least several years of experience in software engineering teams, with some amount of mentorship experience.
- Strong background in algorithms, data structures, and software engineering principles.
- Annual bonus plan
- No tracking of sick or vacation days (p.s. ask us about Summer Week & Winter Week)
- Flexible hours
- So many snacks!
- Monthly cocktail competitions
- An ever-flowing giveaway table, featuring kitchenware, cookbooks & Leftover Flower Fridays
- Have you seen our office? https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/fashion/brad-shermans-office-interior-design-on-a-dorm-budget.html