We're Food52, and we've created a groundbreaking and award-winning cooking and home site. We support, connect, and celebrate home cooks, and give them everything they need in one place.
Our Associate Editor role is ideal for someone who is excited to work with writers of all experience levels, both staff and freelance, on short posts and longform narratives alike. In this role, you’ll take on pieces that span a wide variety of topic areas related to food, from recipes and travel narratives to culture, politics, and history. We’re looking for someone who can think imaginatively about all of these subjects.
The bread and butter of this role is editing our contributors, so strong communication skills are key. You’ll be recruiting writers, smoothing out ideas and angles, and providing constructive, thoughtful feedback so that our articles shine from headline to kicker.
While there may be some writing involved—especially if you have an interesting idea to bring to the table that only you can write!—this is primarily an editing role.
Other responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Senior Editor and Managing Editor to pitch ideas, take on first edits, and brainstorm ideas for writers
- Participating in editorial ideas meetings
- Editing recipes as necessary
- Handling production in our CMS
- Have 2-3 years of relevant writing and/or editing experience, with an interest in editing more substantive longform work. Experience at food and/or lifestyle publications is a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills are key, as you’ll be working across teams (marketing, creative, ad sales) and with multiple contributors.
- Have a can-do, solution-oriented attitude and be willing to pitch in to help where necessary.
- Be creative; always have an idea or ten to bring to the table.
- Competitive salary and healthcare packages
- Annual bonus plan
- No tracking of sick or vacation days (ask us about Summer Week & Winter Week!)
- Flexible hours
- So many snacks!
- An ever-flowing giveaway table, featuring kitchenware, cookbooks, and more
- Have you seen our office?
Please note: Food52 hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of home cooks.