Food Writer & Recipe Developer
We're Food52, and we've created a groundbreaking and award-winning cooking and home site. We support, connect, and celebrate home cooks, and give them everything they need in one place.
Our food writer and recipe developer role is for someone who loves to cook—and who reads, writes, and talks about cooking constantly. You have an ever-growing list of recipes you want to make and dishes you want to try. You have a pulse on which ingredients, cooking styles, and appliances are in the spotlight—and which ones are about to be. In this role, you'll scour cookbooks, restaurant menus, blogs, Pinterest, Instagram, and the mind of every person you talk to for cooking tips, trends, and techniques that our audience of avid home cooks can latch onto and learn from.
You'll use this knowledge to develop and test recipes, and to communicate cooking know-how through clear and compelling articles. You'll write a wide range of stories that vary in length and depth—from short pieces on need-to-know cooking tips to longer, researched articles that compare various techniques for the same dish. You’ll find, test, and edit community and contributor recipes. You'll also think visually and creatively, scoping out what is most effectively communicated through video, GIF, infographic, design, or photograph.
This position will work in tandem with the Food Writer & Recipe Developer already on our team. You will bounce ideas off of each other, seek each other’s input, and work together on our in-house food and cooking content.
- 2-3 years in an editorial role with a food brand or food media.
- Experience with food editing, writing, and ideas generation: You understand what makes great copy and what makes great visuals.
- Experience testing and developing recipes; restaurant or test kitchen experience is a plus
- Experience writing for video and/or social media is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to toggle between multiple teams and prioritize team needs
- Deadline-driven, meticulous, and highly organized
- Cool under pressure and flexible
- Competitive package and healthcare benefits
- Annual bonus plan
- No tracking of sick or vacation days (p.s. ask us about Summer Week & Winter Week)
- Flexible hours
- An ever-flowing giveaway table, featuring kitchenware, cookbooks, and more
- Have you seen our office?
Please note: Food52 hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of home cooks.